Re: TR4 Top

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Top
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:19:56 -0700
Tim I. Purdy wrote:

>I have a new soft top for my TR4 and was wondering how difficult it is to
>install the grommets.

Not too difficult I think.  I go slow... measure, do 2 fasteners, trial
fit, do 2 more, etc.

>...If its fairly simple, that
>I could undertake, what kind of tools would I need?

I use an Xacto hole punch (about 3/16") and a snap installation kit
(little seat for the snap head and a punch to flare the rivet) -- other
than that it is awl, hammer, a couple of blocks of wood & maybe pliers.

>...Also, would l find the tools at Napa or Kragen, or maybe Ace Hardware.

Maybe, though a fabric store might be a better source.

>Its been cool, with snow here

Tougher to install it in cold weather.  These things can be a tight fit
(I think they used originals for patterns and ignored that they had
shrunk over the years).  Warm weather, better still sunshine makes the
job much easier as the top is more pliable and can stretch a bit.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ

Check out the new British Cars Forum: