Re: TR4 Top

To: timipurdy@citlink.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Top
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:08:15 EDT
In a message dated 10/29/2004 6:09:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
timipurdy@citlink.net writes:

I have a  new soft top for my TR4 and was wondering how difficult it is to
install  the grommets.  The reason why I ask is that the nearest  upholsterer
for me is 90 miles away.  Is this something a person can  do yourself, or does
everyone recommend to have it done  professionally?  If its fairly simple,
that
I could undertake, what  kind of tools would I need?  Also, would l find the
tools at Napa or  Kragen, or maybe Ace Hardware.  Its been cool, with snow
here
in the  mountains, so I need to get this done soon.  Had planned to do  it
earlier, but the fuel pump went out, so want not able to take it over to
Reno,
Nevada to have done.  Thanks

======
Tim, you might find some useful hints by reading Art Kelly's article on TR4
top installation on the VTR site: _http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr4-top.html_
(http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr4-top.html) .

By "grommets" I assume you're referring to the Lift-the-dot fasteners. If
so, I've found they're easily installed with little more than an X-Acto or
similar small, sharp-pointed-blade knife, and a hole punch. Note in the above
article Art's caution to correctly orient the fasteners for greater ease in
removing the top.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member  Services
and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage  Triumph Register _www.vtr.org_ (http://www.vtr.org)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: