Re: TR3A Paint Color Thoughts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Paint Color Thoughts
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:59:12 EDT
I didn't read this thread from the start so I don't know if this was covered.

For color, do you want the car to stand out from normal cars on the road or
other similar cars at a show?

Many Porsches are painted Guards red, on the road with regular cars it stands
out( AKA arrest me red)  but at a car show or autocross it blends in with all
the other red cars.  What Italian auto maker is known for red cars?  On the
road they stand out but in a show the odd yellow one stands out.

As for specific color, Guards red ( on my 914) is a yellow red, it looks
bright and eye catching when you have not seen it for a while ( same as it will
when a person walking by sees it ) however it looks normal to the driver after
while.

International Harvester red ( on my 77 Chevy pickup) has lots of black and is
a good solid non flashy red that works well with chrome that has black
insets.  It really gives the truck a clean look.

73 Pontiac Grand Prix has a gold/brown/copper metallic that looks great.  I'm
not sure how it would work on a sports car but it would stand out anywhere it
goes.

73 Plymouth Scamp ( Dodge Dart) has a good blue metallic.   There was a 914
painted in a what seems to be darker shade of blue, go here then click on the
third picture down on the right for a good shot.
http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/914.htm

The above two are probably the only metallics I'd consider and the only ones
I'd accept a super glossy shine.  A solid color looks washed out by glare if
too shiny, I prefer the color to make a statement by being what it is.

If the car has the body lines, a regal Roll Royce type reddish brown ( near
red primer )/ light medium charcoal / darkish mustard yellow combo would work.
All three colors must connect at the front fender to get the full effect.

International Harvester Embassy Gray ( used on 70's Scouts and others) is a
good solid color.  I used this on the frame of the formula car.

Mercedes white gray ( 1963 190 C ) sometimes looks gray and others a cream
color.

Harold