RE: TR3A Paint Color Thoughts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3A Paint Color Thoughts
From: CFisher@borgwarner.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:29:24 -0500
FWIW, here is my recent experience with choosing and trying to buy a good
period looking color for my TR3A:

I wanted a nice dark blue. I choose not to go too dark due to a very lumpy
body and my amature body working skills. ON the other hand, I wanted
something darker than the standard Powder blue. I did lots of looking for
indications of what Cotswold or Wedgewood blue might have looked like. I
also looked at other period medium blues from Jaguar, MG etc. I did NOT want
anything metallic as that always looks very wrong on a 50's or 60's LBC
IMHO.

My PPG Dealer was unable to mix any of the period oem colors I found in
acrylic eurothane, although he could have done in acrylic enamel. Then he
brought out a pallat of generic colors in the PPG Concept acrylic eurothane
line. There was a very nice full pallet of solid colors to choose from. They
tend to have a nice glossy wetlook (which may not be entirely vintage, but
then again a good buffing and wax can give most paints a glossy wetlook to
some degree). I choose "Marlin" blue which is a vivid medium blue. I'm
hopeing it will look good and be somewhat forgiving of my wavy body work.
Will post a picture on my website when I get the color sprayed for anyone
who is interested.

Cheers,
Curt Fisher
WWW.essex1.com/people/fishnet/ Spritely Vintage Racing Homepage.
"Racing is life, everything that comes before, or after is just waiting",
Steve McQueen from Le Mans.
"Compared to Road Racing, heroin addiction is like a vague longing for
something salty"