Re: [TR] Return on investment when restoring a Stag and other

To: mhooper@digiscreen.ca, triumphstag@gmail.com,
Subject: Re: [TR] Return on investment when restoring a Stag and other
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:46:06 EDT
No  matter how money I sink into my Stag, which isn't much these days, I
don't  think in my live time I'll ever be able to recuperate the amount
of money  invested in it.  Since my Stag is my hobby I really don't care  too
much. However,  if I picked another Triumph or say an MG to work  on,
which model would involve the least amount of investment, and least  amount of
lose?
Sujit

Sujit,
 I initially spent $12,000 on my $1000 Stag, not counting the  cost of three
airplane rides back to Tony Harts. I probably spent another $2000  in parts
over the next 10 years, and then sold it for $7000 in excellent  condition. Did
I lose $7000? If I had bought a new car and sold it 10 years  later, the loss
would have been a whole lot more. On the other hand, I now  of a TR that was
worth maybe $10k and had $40k spent on it and is maybe worth  $15k now.
I read once that the only people who make money restoring cars are the
platers, painters,and upholsterers.
I believe that a S1 E Type is more likely to be a car worth the  investment
to restore. If you are careful, you can buy a $10-$12k  E Type roadster, spend
$40k on it and easily have a $65k car IF you do  the work yourself and don't
buy one that's badly rusted.
And keep it stock and of show quality.
We have seen really great S1 roadtsers sell for $125k, but you can  easily
spend $20k on panel replacement ( then all best are off!)
Parts are pricey, and its not for the faint of heart!

Best, Mike Moore

===     http://www.vtr.org