Re: [TR] BMIHT Certificate Quandry

To: wbeech@flash.net, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] BMIHT Certificate Quandry
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:06:38 EDT
In a message dated 5/24/2007 7:51:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wbeech@flash.net writes:

Good  morning List,

Just got the Cert back on my '58 TR3, now I am  thrilled and confused.  If
someone on the list knows how the numbers  work, perhaps you can collectively
help me with the following  questions:

1.    The Commission Number stamped on the  plate in the car is TS/30766-L,
but they are giving me TS/30766-LO (with  overdrive, a good thing).  But why
wouldn't the plate stamping reflect  this as well?
2.    The loose engine that came with the car is  listed on the Cert, a
good thing, but the tranny that is loose with it does  not have nor does it
show to have had the O/D unit on it.  Perhaps not  the original tranny?
3.    The Body Number on the Cert,  986001-TS, seems like a number that is
far and away for the series that it  should be, unless I am looking in the
wrong place.  My understanding  is that the plate on the firewall above the
battery is the body number, EB  30861, not even close.  Am I looking in the
right place?
4.   Options listed are Wire Wheels(got these), Overdrive(not  there),
Heater(has been removed) and Whitewall tyres.  There is a  5.90-15 whitewall
Dunlop Gold Seal in the spare compartment, could this be  the original tire?
It is old and not in great shape.
5.    It  is currently red with black interior, which I prefer.  The Cert
says  it should be black with red(leather) interior.  I there a  reference
somewhere to show just how the colors go together?  i.e  seats, carpet, door
panels & dash(my dash is red with a black glovebox  door and instrument
panel)

Any help on one or more of these  would be greatly appreciated.

All the  best,

BillB

TS/30766-L(O)

Hi Bill,
I make no claims to being an expert, but I have had my TR (TS41723L)  since
64 and have put it through two restorations, that makes me a little  familiar
with what's going on.

I would first of all look way up under the dash and you may see what the
original color was.
I would not be surprised if someplace, someone put the OD in another car.
There was a time when TRs were really cheap. I needed a starter and a radiator
in 1968. I bought a drivable TR3 for $75 and drove it from Grand Prairie
Texas to Richardson Texas. I swapped its radiator and starter for my  non-op
ones.
I put an ad in the paper for upickem TR parts. I sold $300 worth  ofparts off
the car. I tried to get people to exchange parts with what  was on the car.
The head was replaced with a cracked one etc. etc. When it was  all done, I
sold the complete car to a wrecking yard for $25 and they  picked up a
"complete"
car.
On my own car, at its last restoration, I installed a TR4 tranny with  OD to
replace the TR6 non-OD it previously had. I had a new commission plate
stamped with -TS41723LO, and put it on top of the original one. My car has been
 red
(original), yellow, green, and now red again. If I were you, I would decide
if I want to have a nice drivable showable TR, or a concours trailer queen. If
 its the former, I would paint the car any color I wanted, and any color
interior  I wanted. If the latter, I would maybe do the same thingm but be
careful
to use  TR colors, or check the rules on shows I would likely enter.
Good Luck!
Mike Moore
TS41723LO

===     http://www.vtr.org