RE: [TR] BMIHT Certificate Quandry

To: wbeech@flash.net, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: [TR] BMIHT Certificate Quandry
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:42:14 -0400
>Good morning List,
>
>Just got the Cert back on my '58 TR3, now I am thrilled and confused.  If
>someone on the list knows how the numbers work, perhaps you can
>collectively
>help me with the following questions:

>1.     The Commission Number stamped on the plate in the car is TS/30766-L,
>but they are giving me TS/30766-LO (with overdrive, a good thing).  But why
>wouldn't the plate stamping reflect this as well?
>2.     The loose engine that came with the car is listed on the Cert, a
>good thing, but the tranny that is loose with it does not have nor does it
>show to have had the O/D unit on it.  Perhaps not the original tranny?
>3.     The Body Number on the Cert, 986001-TS, seems like a number that is
>far and away for the series that it should be, unless I am looking in the
>wrong place.  My understanding is that the plate on the firewall above the
>battery is the body number, EB 30861, not even close.  Am I looking in the
>right place?
>4.     Options listed are Wire Wheels(got these), Overdrive(not there),
>Heater(has been removed) and Whitewall tyres.  There is a 5.90-15 whitewall
>Dunlop Gold Seal in the spare compartment, could this be the original tire?
>It is old and not in great shape.
>5.     It is currently red with black interior, which I prefer.  The Cert
>says it should be black with red(leather) interior.  I there a reference
>somewhere to show just how the colors go together?  i.e seats, carpet, door
>panels & dash(my dash is red with a black glovebox door and instrument
>panel)
>
>Any help on one or more of these would be greatly appreciated.
>
>All the best,

>BillB
>
>TS/30766-L(O)

Besides the fact that parts are changed through the years, I heard this last
night at a TRA meeting:

BMIHT certs come from records made before the car was built. The records
show how a car was planned to be built, but due to shortages or parts
availabilty the car may have been built differently from the planned
configuration. This explains why some cars differ from the BMIHT certs.

The TRA Build Records, on the other hand, come from records made after the
car was built. And are $20.

John

===     http://www.vtr.org