Re: [TR] Battery troubles

To: "aljlthomson@charter.net" <aljlthomson@charter.net>, "notakitcar@yahoo.com" <notakitcar@yahoo.com>, "ccsimonsen@gmail.com" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Battery troubles
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 15:08:24 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_747346_186620308.1602774504227

 The old style chargers MUST be monitored, especially with newer batteries.=
=C2=A0 If you leave it hooked up too long you will boil off the electrolyte=
.=C2=A0 How long?=C2=A0 Depends on the state of charge.=C2=A0 What is the s=
tate of charge?=C2=A0 Is it 50%, 25%, 75%?=C2=A0 You can figure that out if=
 you take an open circuit voltage reading, adjust for temperature and look =
it up on a chart.=C2=A0 Then guess how long to set the timer.
Or take a voltage reading periodically and don't forget to turn it off.=C2=
=A0=20

Yes, the alternator doesn't do the three-phase charge regimen but it does r=
egulate the voltage to 14 volts.=C2=A0 The old school chargers are just a t=
ransformer and a rectifier and when the battery achieves full charge the vo=
ltage will continue to rise and boil off the electrolyte.=C2=A0 The smart c=
hargers will self-regulate to prevent that.=C2=A0 But if you want to babysi=
t you charger by all means knock yourself out.

I am in the business of battery powered transport devices for medical equip=
ment and patient transport and we use a lot of chargers to recharge the AGM=
 batteries we use to power the devices and they work quite well and are wel=
l suited to the end users who will just plug them in and walk away for the =
weekend.=C2=A0 An old-school charger just simply will not work for us.

Hooking up a faulty battery to a smart charger and getting unsatisfactory r=
esults doesn't mean the charger is at fault.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20