Re: Building cars to the FIA specification

To: ply@rosenet.it
Subject: Re: Building cars to the FIA specification
From: MRogers726@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:53:57 EDT

<<
 Overall, I have been impressed with the Australian system and while I don't
 think it's perfect, they do a very good job at maintaining the history of
 cars and mostly keeping them as they were raced. One thing which they do
 which would not be popular with the FIA or indeed in the UK amongst many
 racers, is the system of making cars use the engines they employed in their
 day. So, whereas if a, say the Crossle 5s* sports car had chassis running
 Dart 2.5 engine, 1600 Ford t/c, Buick 3.5 - then the cars which had these
 engines must maintain a similar block, i.e. unlike the FIA regs, cars cannot
 all have begun life as 1600 Ford t/cs and then be upgraded to the faster
 motors (like all those Lotus XIs which were 1100 endurance cars and are now
 several hundred ccs more powerful and in "sprint" racing specification)...

Doesn't this 'lose' many cars? I can see in a isolated country like Oz if a
bloke builds a car and runs it, it will be noted and probably recorded
somewhere. In the UK and Amurika where there were thousands of onzie twozies
it is more of a problem. I have and can think of many 'specials' that I've
seen that probably have no record. Just consider my Coffield Mk.III.
anexamination of the car indicates that it has been modified many times by a
craftsman and I would guess was racing before roll over bars were mandated
-since the bar is installed in a non-integral manner and of different
material. This tells me that it probably had a long racing history. I've found
another picture of a Coffield and found where it was built but so far nothing
more. what would happen in Oz?  Michael*