Re: Building cars to the FIA specification

To: "David Laver" <dlaver@ms.com>
Subject: Re: Building cars to the FIA specification
From: "Patrick Young" <ply@rosenet.it>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 05:02:16 +0200
David,

-----Original Message-----
David Laver said:
<snip>
>Patrick,
>
>To get FIA papers do I need to 'prove' my particular chassis number was
raced in
>period - or is it enough to prepare it to the original factory published
spec
>for the model?   My reading of Appendix K (confused, cross eyed etc etc)
was the
>later.

As I understood the situation, - and it's a goodly decade since I had to
read Appendix K when running Irish historic racing, was that for production
cars, anything which was homologated can have FIA papers bestowed upon it,
provided it is either as per the factory original spec, or replicates the
spec of a car which raced internationally in the period. With production
cars, no individual race history is actually required to get FIA papers,
although if the car has such history, then some race organisers may prefer
this car (e.g. the Goodwood inaugural race meeting where only historied
classic saloons will be welcome).

To qualify for FIA papers, the car (or a facsimile therof for production
cars) must have run in any international race. This is very good for most
British and Italian cars, as both coutries had loads of racing and also had
loads of private teams racing the cars, with differing specs. Works teams
are not important. Indeed, as I understand it, if for instance the factory
entered an "E" Type at Goodwood or Brands Hatch in an international race one
year in one spec and the following year another private team entered the
same chassis but with a different spec, then either spec is good enough for
the FIA, as long a it falls within the period (so if you want to race a car
in Pre-60 sports cars, it's 1961 Brands Hatch spec is not acceptable -
although often the FIA may not even check this accurately).

You are as I see it largely correct in your viewpoint about prototypes. I
don't know about the B20 but in the case say of the original works Mercedes
Benz "gullwings" and the MGAs, these tended to be prototypes (in the oiginal
pre-production concept, as opposed to the current vogue for bewinged sports
racing cars bereft of much likelihood of becoming road cars, with limited
production exceptions, for instance when they ran at the Dundrod TT), which
I think is why some specs can differ as you say:

>The exception appeared to be the exceptions for 'prototypes' -
modifications
>really done in period to the actual car to save people from taking an
original
>race car and turning it back into a production car.  I guess it also
matters for
>'historic racing specials' or whatever their term is for hybrids built and
raced
>in period.
>
>>From what you say it sounds as if I could brew up an optimal Aurelia
spec - the
>best bits of each varient.  I might get away with the telescopic shocks on
it at
>the moment...  Then again I quite fancy the cockpit adjustable lever type
if I
>could track some down.  Its the wheel and tyre warren that confuses me
most.
>I'm putting off the repairs to rear wheel arches until I know what needs to
fit
>unde them.

It may indeed be possible, certainly MGBs (and most likely the Griffiths
that Graeme refers to) are prepared to a pretty optimal spec, provided
somebody did it in period. For instance, I know somebody with a Piper GT who
is looking at historical records because he believes one ran an
international in the UK in the late 1960's with a potent Cosworth or t/c
motor (or somecushlike) and if he can find it, bingo his car can be produced
as a replica.

Equally, for instance a Peerless could be prepared as a classic saloon car
(even thought the CSCC ,may not want a fibreglass car in their midst) but
for internationals it could also be reproduced as a Le Mans replica with
larger petrol tank in the rear etc. etc. as the car ran at Le Mans in 1958.

Hope this helps, as above all else I really want to see another Lancia B20
competing!

Hold on, I've just had a brainwave. Isn't there a chap from England who runs
a B20 at events like Monza - do you know him? I can try to finds out his
name for you, as he may be able to advise on FIA papers.

Regards,

Patrick