Re: TR / MG Challenge

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: TR / MG Challenge
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:51:48 -0500
We had an example of this at VARAC's Mosport event, when the MG racers came
to visit us, and a few modern SCCA guys came up and played.  Two cars, I
think, from the same team, prepped with slicks, fiberglass fenders, and so
on.  Two years ago, when I actually ran in the race, I found that they were
very good to run with (although the Midget did have a big off, and rather
comprehensive, if repairable, damage).  They were quick, but not really
quicker than vintage cars at Mosport.  The 1275 Midget, in SCCA trim, was
doing 1:48 or so, and I did 1:48 in my vintage midget the one time I ran
with a 1275, so pretty even.  The vintage record for a Mini at Mosport is a
1:42.

We really appreciated them coming out, quite frankly.  We invited them, we
knew they were coming, and we were glad to see them.  We have a perennial
problem getting enough cars to come to our event, and they all help.  My
expectation is that when they, or other similar racers, see how much fun we
have with a lower level of commitment to ultimate prep and race action,
they'll come over to our side!  Perhaps your dilemma about inviting modern
cars could be influenced by thinking about whether you'll have enough
entries without them, and whether adding the modern cars might cause a few
vintage guys to stay home...

Brian

At 03:54 AM 10/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Jeff Zurschmeide wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "current SCCA rules" and "SCCA drivers."
>>
>> If I hold an SCCA Vintage license, and my car is legal in SCCA Vintage
>> but not in Production, GT, IT, or any other "full competition" class, etc
>
>You make a good point regarding the need to carefully define my terms
>when expressing views in these sensitive areas.
>
>I do think the current or near-current SCCA safety specs are the very
>best there are, and are superior to what I see on many vintage cars.
>
>Current performance rules, like flared fenders, wide wheels, and in some
>cases wonderful and exotic suspension mods, are quite another matter,
>and create cars that are different both in appearance and capability
>from what most vintage organizations encourage or require.
>
>I also think that SCCA licensed drivers are generally excellent.
>However, my own mentality when racing SCCA, and that of most SCCA-only
>drivers, tends to be more "win at all costs" and "all the rest of these
>drivers are at least as good as me and probaly better". My mentality
>when driving vintage is "be a gentleman, recognize various levels of
>drivers' skill out there, preserve the cars, and have fun". Maybe not in
>that order.
>
>So my opinion remains that it is inappropriate to mix cars prepared to
>current SCCA performance standards, driven by licensed SCCA drivers who
>have never driven in a vintage race, in the same group with vintage cars
>driven by (in many cases) drivers who have driven only vintage.
>
>There have indeed been unfortunate incidents that could have been less
>serious had the car met current SCCA safety standards. There have also
>been a number of incidents caused by drivers who made erroneous
>assumptions regarding the awareness or skill level of his fellow
>drivers.
>
>Please please please don't anybody who races vintage take offense at
>these remarks -- they are directed solely at the idea of mixing
>"non-vintage" cars and drivers with "vintage" cars and drivers.
>

>--
>uncle jack
>TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer

Brian Evans