Re: TR / MG Challenge

To: brian@uunet.ca, vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: TR / MG Challenge
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:07:19 EST
When I began SCCA racing in the late 60s, production car preparation had
evolved from the "tape over headlights" stage to a more sophisticated level,
but it still fell short of the eventual movement toward massive flares, cages
and exotic suspensions.  The standard for production preparation in the last
60s and early 70s is generally what I understand current vintage standards
are.  I was around for the evolution from "no body mods" to modest fender
flares.

The cost of production car preparation in the late 60s represented a
significant jump from the previous 5 year period.  Cost took another huge leap
by the end of the 70s.

I no longer race but maintain my interest as a spectator and journalist.  It
seems to me that current SCCA production cars represent a significantly higher
investment and cost-of-competition than most vintage cars...and that is as it
should be.

While mixing vintage and SCCA production cars might fill out an otherwise thin
field, I don't see how in any respect a vintage MGB will begin to keep up with
a national-caliber SCCA MGB.  (I suppose a handicapping system could be
devised for the SCCA MGB....)

I cannot address the issue of mixing SCCA drivers with vintage drivers except
to speculate that the policing of on track behavior performance would become
more important.  Common sense often is left behind at tech.

I would like to raise an aesthetic issue, however:  if you mix up current
production cars with vintage cars, you will jeopardize the authenticity of the
event.  I enjoy vintage races for their sound, their look and their smell.
These races are a time warp of sorts, especially for geezers like me who can
relive seat time in the old cars.  But mixing wide-body, over-tuned production
cars that aspire to the Runoffs with their earlier siblings in pre-steroid
condition would muddle the aesthetic value of the event.    I would rather see
a few "authentic" cars on the track in authentic competition than see a fatter
field fleshed out by current cars. It's a bit like having teenagers come to
your door on Halloween,  trick-or-treating: it's a jarring incongruity.

Tom W. Butters