Re: TR / MG Challenge

To: "Brian Evans" <brian@uunet.ca>, "Jack W Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: TR / MG Challenge
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:30:17 -0600
> From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>

> We had an example of this at VARAC's Mosport event, when the MG racers
came
> to visit us, and a few modern SCCA guys came up and played.  Two cars, I
> think, from the same team, prepped with slicks, fiberglass fenders, and
so
> on.  Two years ago, when I actually ran in the race, I found that they
were
> very good to run with (although the Midget did have a big off, and rather
> comprehensive, if repairable, damage).  They were quick, but not really
> quicker than vintage cars at Mosport.  The 1275 Midget, in SCCA trim, was
> doing 1:48 or so, and I did 1:48 in my vintage midget the one time I ran
> with a 1275, so pretty even.  The vintage record for a Mini at Mosport is
> 1:42.
>
> We really appreciated them coming out, quite frankly.  We invited them,
we
> knew they were coming, and we were glad to see them.  We have a perennial
> problem getting enough cars to come to our event, and they all help.  My
> expectation is that when they, or other similar racers, see how much fun
we
> have with a lower level of commitment to ultimate prep and race action,
> they'll come over to our side!  Perhaps your dilemma about inviting
modern
> cars could be influenced by thinking about whether you'll have enough
> entries without them, and whether adding the modern cars might cause a
few
> vintage guys to stay home...

I'm going to guess that what Jack may be referring to (and if I'm wrong,
please accept my apology Jack) with regards to current era SCCA drivers is
that current era SCCA racers accept contact as a normal way of life. This
is my own opinion, formed over the last 12 years as a nationally licensed
SCCA corner worker and as an avid reader of the Court of Appeals section of
the SCCA's SportsCar magazine. A driver who has only driven "to win" may
have trouble with what Brian refers to above as "lower level of commitment
to ultimate prep and race action".

Earlier this month, I was at IRP for the VSCDA event, and was talking with
Tony Drews. We were approached by a guy who told us that he would be
vintage racing a TR3 next year, and who regaled us with his exploits as a
SCCA nationally licensed driver in a GT car. This driver was known to me
for incidents at events I was working. After we walked away from this guy,
Tony looked at me and said that he would give this guy a wide berth on the
race track, because if he brings that same mentality to vintage racing that
he has when racing his SCCA current era car, he will be in 13/13 trouble in
no time.

Irv