RE: TR / MG Challenge

To: "'Brian Evans'" <brian@uunet.ca>, "'Jack W Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: RE: TR / MG Challenge
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <zurschmeidej@interactivenw.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:35:30 -0800
It seems to me the big contention is on two points:

1) understanding the nature of vintage racing (about 80% of the problem)

2) wildly variable car preparation (about 20% of the problem)

Item 2 is easy to deal with. Many vintage organizations disallow fender
flares not in common use in say, 1969. This lets out the current
limit-of-the-rules SCCA Production cars.

Many vintage orgs also disallow racing slicks. SCCA Vintage in Oregon
Region requires "molded tread" tires. Generally, this means DOT radials
like Comp T/As or Hoosier streets. Some vintage orgs require 70 series
tires except on formula cars. (This is why I have a set of 60s and a set
of 70s for my car.)

These things will tend to achieve the result I think Jack is looking for
with reference to car prep ideas. You may also want to specify
that the suspension must remain substantially stock (i.e. no full
coil-over suspensions on old brit-cars).

The first item is harder to deal with than the second. Making a
driver understand the difference is not always easy. IMHO, no
one goes racing who doesn't have at least a little idea that he or
she is (or would like to be) a hot shoe. Vintage racing is enjoying
an enormous surge in popularity, and frequently in our region
is the biggest run group. At the last event of the year, it was too
big and we split it into 3 run groups. (Each of which was about the
same size as any other full competition run group.)  When you
go from having the same 12 guys running everything from a
big block 'Vette to a 1963 FV to a bone-stock Sprite all together
to perhaps 30 to 40 cars, some being "new" race cars just built,
some being retired Production cars (like mine) and some being
restored barn treasures, and with drivers who have everything
from 30+ years experience to 3 hours of "racing school" and a
Novice Permit, you have a whole new set of issues.

I don't know exactly how to deal with those dangers and issues
except to keep talking - loudly and frequently - about the fundamental
rules and idea of the game. I believe in driver's meetings (confession
time - I'm an SCCA Steward and running for Road Racing Director
of Oregon Region) and I believe in making these things really clear
to people and disinviting those who just don't seem to get the religion.

I have no problem going door handle to door handle (well, if my car
had door handles...) with a Vette on one side and a Formula Ford on
the other through corners, provided we're all driving with the same
ideas in mind and we are all cool. I have a big problem with
initimidating and aggressive driving in Vintage events. Surprisingly,
some of the worst offenders I can remember are *not* the full
competition drivers, but Vintage org drivers who think they can
get away with more of that at an SCCA Vintage event than with
their home sanctioning body.

The bottom line is, I think the officials putting on an event need to
be really clear about what kind of event they are trying to host and
the rules (which should be clearly published in advance) they intend to
enforce to achieve that kind of event.

I was not miffed when my car was not legal in the Sprite/Mini challenge
in CA because it was an HP racer with flares and slicks. That's just the
rules.
I might be offended if my car was excluded because it was an SCCA
car or because I hold an SCCA racing license and am therefore
presumed to be a particular kind of driver. I don't think that's what
you're
trying to say, though.

BTW, where *is* this race going to be held?

JZ