Re: Tow Vehicle

To: jdesanti@inficon.com
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 20:36:34 -0500
jdesanti@inficon.com wrote:

> I like Brians Idea on tow a vehical - next time I go to the south west I may
>buy
> a late 70's F250.
> They are much better built than todays trucks at a fraction of the price.  I
> might even update to
> fuel injection for drivability.  The only thing you give up is ride quality.
> Any comments?

I have been driving a 1978 F150 4WD for the past 15 years. 6 years ago I
put all NOS Ford doors, fenders, grille, grill shell and new front
bumper on. We painted the cab and the following year got a southern box
and blasted it to bare metal and painted it. From 78 to 95 it was a 300
cube 6. It would pull anything but it was akin to driving a tractor
trailer as far as speed and passing. I built a 70 Cleveland 4 barrel
engine and dropped it right in with the correct mix of NOS parts, even
though Ford never did this. It has a GVW of 6480 with an empty wt of
4550. A load carrying capability of 1930 lbs for a "half ton" truck.
Last year it got the 2 pinion, 31 spline 9" open rear end replaced by a
Currie Enterprises 4 pinion traction lock unit. It pulls a heavy trailer
with a 78 Bronco on it like there was nothing behind- until you want to
stop.

I bought the truck for $4000 in 1984 and have spent another $7 to 8000
on it over the last 15 years, not counting tires and shocks. It now has
200,000 miles on the chassis, trans and transfer case while everything
else has less than 30,000. When I look at replacement trucks they are
more comfortable, not as well built and at least $25,000, so I don't
part with my $11,500 truck.

The $400 stereo system rivals the $1500 options of today, the
acceleration beats the new truck, I can and do work on it as necessary.
I can't see spending an additional $20,000 on a new truck- besides all
the looks that the truck gets as a shiny black 22 year old vehicle are
also worth something. I have built a couple of other engines fof people
in our area with 78 79 F150's and they are al tickled with their old
trucks and don't think about new one either. Your only disadvantage to
an older truck will be in the area of gas mileage.

Bill Dalton