Re: Spridget Rollbar?

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spridget Rollbar?
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:30:39 -0700
Larry is mostly right on this one. In the SCCA, Vintage is whatever
the individual region wants to make of it. The SF Region has had, off
and on, some reasonable vintage events along the lines of what used to
go on at regional events long ago. I actually went through SCCA Drivers
School in my Formula Junior, at Sears Point, in the rain. ;=) When it
came to the pre-race tech inspection, I was asked what rules the roll
bar had been prepared to. I answered, "Vintage, of course." The reply
was "Good answer." It was obvious the roll bar did not meet current
GCR for any current formula car, but it was well within the requirements
of Section 18 in the Vintage GCR. It did have a diagonal brace, it was
well over my helmet, and I had it properly padded. The padding behind
the driver's head took some ingenuity, but not much. I actually ran in
several SCCA Vintage events locally, mostly with vintage Vees and FFords.

When the SFR SCCA does have a vintage event or offer a vintage group as
a diversion at a regional, they publish supplemental regs for it that
generally allow any car that would get into a vintage club event, plus
some others that aren't considered "vintage" yet.

You can still get copies of the "vintage" SCCA GCR from the central
office, perhaps the region offices as well. The relevant docs are:

Pub. 5684 Vintage GCR (54, 59, 62)
Pub. 5686 Historic GCR (1965, 67, 72)
Pub. 5690 Vintage Prod Car Specifications
Pub. 5691 Historic Prod Car Specifications

See also http://www.scca.org/news/index.html#comp_regs and look at
or download the PDF merchandise order form. It's all there.