Fw: Summit Point Zoning Woes

To: "Vintage list" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Summit Point Zoning Woes
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:55:05 -0800
 How would you react if you learned that a local chapter of Hells Angels
 wanted to buy the house next door for a clubhouse, or an adult bookstore
 wanted to open a store at your streetcorner? You would react; swiftly and
 loudly. We, as racers, are experiencing the same infringement on "our
 pleasures" that the prospective homeowners will voice once moved into their
 new "dream home".

 People don't want a major airport near them; until they want a non-stop
 flight to take them to Aunt Gertrudes house for the holidays!

 There's two sides to the argument, and to keep the track open is going to
 require concession on both sides or I can assure you who will lose: we
will!

 The citizens in Silver Knolls (suburb of Reno, NV) fought long and hard to
 deny a racing facility in their area on Stead airport property (home of the
 annual Reno Air Races). They based their objection, NOT on noise but on
 traffic congestion! What few of those residents even know (because they
 can't hear it), is that there is an established major Go-Kart raceway on
the
 east side of the airport! If it were possible to construct a raceway
without
 the Silver Knolls people knowing about it, and if responsible noise and
 operating limitations were put into effect, most of them probably wouldn't
 even know the facility existed.

 So how do you proceed? Education. Push everything POSITIVE about the
 facilty; not the negative. Make the facility a 'teaching facility' to turn
 the 'young teens' into defensive drivers, not race drivers, etc.

 A racing facilty uses a lot of real estate. A professionally designed golf
 course (and I hate golf!) will bring the "track haters" to the track to
play
 golf year around. The presence of a race facility would be a small price to
 pay to "swat that stupid little ball"! (I'm gonna hear from the "golfing
 racers" over this one{!!!}). Not only would something like this be a
 positive attribute to the raceway, but a revenue generator as well (and
 that's what the politicians want to hear).

 Being on the "other coast", it's unlikely I'll ever have the opportunity to
 race at Summit Point. However, the same problems impact my racing facilites
 (Laguna Seca, Thunder Hill and Sears Point), so I certainly understand your
 dilemma.

 Organize all the sanctioning bodies who use the facility and negotiate
 strongly, but fairly. If not, I can assure you that you will finish "second
 overall" in this race!

 Carl McLelland
     CSRG #247, series 1 Sunbeam Alpine