Re: Motor & transmission

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Motor & transmission
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 10:20:24 -0500
Ditto!

Only catch on the L18 -- parts are getting harder to find for a
L18 motor! Anything from the L16/18/20B is 20 years old, and
unless you find a clean engine from a wreck, rebuild cost is
about the same as a R16... then you have the conversion to deal
with. WARNING a L20B is about 3/4" taller... needs more work
to avoid using an ugly hood scoop!

Find a decent R16 and 4 speed to put back into your roadster.

A 1600 is a decent reliable motor! I love U20's... but with
timing chain cost, you need have a more expensive rebuild.

Where are you located? Are you looking at doing the work yourself
or having a garage do it?

I have a "KA24DE donor" and a "rebuildable" R16.... like the idea
of a KA24DE power plant, but have so few extra hours in the week
between work and family, the R16 makes more sense for me.

Tom

P.S. Been in NY for a week.... still catching up on email. :)