RE: Motor & transmission

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Motor & transmission
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 00:15:11 -0700
I recently checked with an Australian wrecking yard about an SR20 and 5 or 6
speed tranny with ECU and clutch slave cylinder, etc.  The quote was about
$2500 plus shipping to the North American West coast, where I live.  Then
you have fuel tank, radiator, engine/tranny mounting, and other mods to
consider.

If you are looking at a major rebuild of a U20 engine this starts to look
like a wash financially.  It is probably close, depending upon what your
engineering skills are, or what someone else would charge for the
installation.  You also get a 5 or 6 speed transmission that is an improved
design over the older designs.

Done correctly the newer engines require less maintenance, but they are more
complex in other ways due to the electronics around the engine, and the fuel
delivery system.

As Ron says, there are a couple of people who do this all of the time.  They
have the parts you need, and the experience to do the job right.  I would
suggest talking to them about what you want to do, and the cost involved.

How much did they change your engine and tranny mounts to get the current
engine in the car?  If those have not been modified too badly you can
probably put an R16 and matching tranny in for $500.00 or so, depending on
whether you get a good engine and tranny, or have to rebuild it before you
can use it.

I had planned to go the SR20 route, but I notice that there is a growing
pile of U20 parts, including new gears, chains, gaskets, and assorted head
parts sitting on the shelves in my garage.  The U20 engine on the engine
stand is starting to call me, so I guess I will go with rebuilding the
numbers matching engine for my car instead.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, OR