fot

RE: Head Sealing Problem?

To: "'Russ Moore'" <rem@cbord.com>, "'Larry Young'"
Subject: RE: Head Sealing Problem?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:50:57 -0800
Squishy head bolts are bad. Did you reach full torque? Look for cracks
near the bolt holes. Some of them are inevitable, but you might want to
contact Gregg Solow for some of his trick slightly longer outside short
bolts. You need to drill the holes a little deeper and cut more threads
with a bottoming tap to use them, but they work great. If you've got
really strange feeling bolts you should consider helicoils and replacing
or inspecting the bolts. Might be a precursor to failure because the bolts
have already been stretched beyond yield.

If you are using a shim steel gasket I think 100# is overkill.

How hot is too hot? If you have a standard TR3 radiator system there is no
recovery for the water, if you fill the system and get it really hot
you'll always dump water into the overflow. Certainly test your radiator
cap, have the system sniffed for combustion gases. I've never used
dye--there's an analyzer that a lot of shops have that can do the test.

I don't know how much you did to your engine, but there's have been
endless threads on FOT about TR3 cooling systems and radiators. They are
marginal for race-prepped engines. If you don't turn up any engine
problems and the symptom is from insufficient cooling, then get thee to a
really good radiator shop and have them make you a rad that will fill the
nose of your car. Most sanctioning bodies abide by the scca rules of the
period, and they permitted replacement radiators as long as the new one
used the original mounting points. You can stick in a huge modern radiator
and still meet that criteria.

Other possible problems--too aggressive porting (look for cracks at the
bottom of the exhaust port through to the water jacket, and don't ask why
I know about this).

If you're using a shim steel gasket, do the copper wire thing (lots about
this in the archives).