Traction Control

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Traction Control
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:23:10 -0700
F-1 has found it impossible to enforce this rule.
I think SCTA would be wise to make the traction control rule
match reality and delete all references to it.

And CART has not allowed it. Interviews with CART engineers make reference to
their disappointment with F1 in allowing traction control. The question is -
who has the most credibility?

My understanding with the F1 traction control problem is the software is
embedded within all the other controls, pit lane speed, anti-stall in case of
spin, single time start, etc. The mapping is then wiped out when the "black
box" is removed from the car for inspection.

We do not race for the vast sums involved as F1 and CART. The felling is that
"our" drivers are a part of the equation and to take the driver out of the car
diminishes the thrill. I guess if a person wanted to circumvent the current
rules and use TC the risk of a 3 year suspension and the lost of respect of
your peers is a small price to pay.

I personally like to throttle the puppies, you only get a few minutes each
year to exercise your investment. Remember a few years ago we only had
Speedweek as the other events did not exist.

Dan W