Spec gas

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spec gas
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 05:19:06 -0800
When we show up at Maxton or at the Salt with Nutec Special 4 -- will we
need to drain and run VP or ERC fuel, or will I be allowed to run for a
record on the Nutec, or will I have to have a sample drawn and tested . . .
or what?
***********************
Jon,

I'm not sure what will happen at Maxon now that they have a fuel vendor. At
all events held at the salt the gas deal works like this:

If you are in a GAS class you go to the ERC truck with an empty tank. They
will fuel your vehicle with the grade of gas you specify. The tank will be
sealed by ERC. When you qualify for the record and enter the impound area the
tank seal will be inspected as a part of the impound procedure. If you will
require additional gas for the second half of the record attempt that gas can
be added while being observed by an impound official. The gas you add must be
from a container which has been filled and sealed from ERC. The impound
official will then reseal your tank. This can be done even if you only want to
check the amount of gas you have used and do not wish to top off the tank.
Very IMPORTANT - do NOT break the tank seal until it has been verified by the
impound official.

After the second run and you are successful in setting the record the tank
seal will again be inspected by the impound official. This procedure is used
by both the BNI and USFRA.

The unfortunate part of this whole deal is that each time you run for a record
on a qualifing pass the tank must be sealed. Motorcycles will probabally not
use a whole tank in a couple of runs so breaking the seal will require the
tank to be drained and refilled. I would suggest that in order to save some
costs as related to gas that when inspecting the levels for amount used you do
so with an impound official present so that the tank may be resealed.

I hope this answers your question, if not please do not hesitate to ask for
more detail,

Dan Warner
Impound Guy, SCTA/BNI

PS - this procedure applies to all GAS class cars also.