Re: Spec Gas

To: <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spec Gas
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 05:00:08 -0600
Doug.... I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comments....
Rick Gold brings X number of fuels to a meet.... Most the time it's obvious
exactly which is required for your application and sometimes your
combination of parts is borderline for one fuel or another.  But Rick has
the ability to guide you in a direction that provides the most safety or
performance.

In our case we simply chose to run in a Fuel class and bring our own Fuel to
the meets.... it's just easier to know exactly what we are starting with and
to have accurate and adequate dyno information on that combination.

Bill was almost at a point where he was recommending a Spec Gas ( vs event
gas in multipul grades ) and obviously with all our various combinations it
would be a nightmare for most of us..... I heard something about Maxton
getting it's own race gas I hope that is true as it would make like easier
for lots of folks.... but I'm still going to run my own fuel as it's then a
constant.

As an interesting sidelight..... Higher octane isn't always the best
answer... we had some Idle EGT problems here a while back and after all was
said and done the one thing I can attribute it to is a higher octane fuel
that simply couldn't be burned fast enough in the chamber so it finished
firing in the headers..... yep you guess it.... they became CHERRY red....
great opportunity to do any final bending but it's Not much of a deal if
your trying to keep things together....

By the way.... Rick Gold and ERC do bring Spark plugs that cost less then
they do here.... he recommends calling him before speedweek if your running
something wierd.... but he will in fact have them avalible for you at the
meet....  They also do weather and have the avalible information at the
trailer..... they are just great folks....

Keith