RE: Spec Gas

To: jonw@up.net (Jon Wennerberg), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spec Gas
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:25:12 -0500 (EST)
Jon, I know nothing about that particular race gas you mentioned, but
I'd hazard a guess that if you brought your bike to Maxton and ran the
"event spec gas" your bike would run just about the same as before.  You
might decide to change the jetting a little, or retard the timing a tick
if you heard any "rattling" before you got to the end of the standing
mile.  But you might want to change your jetting a little for the air
density you found at Maxton on Meet day anyway.  Some people don't agree
with me on this, but I think a standing mile event is less critical on
fuel  and detonation simply because your engine is not "stinking hot"
when you start your run, and it takes finite time for the engine
internals to get to the danger point of temperature, especially when you
have cooling systems like we do, and our engines aren't tuned like
(waterless) Top Fuel units, especially on gas.

If the worst came to worst and you found the event gas just didn't seem
to to work right in your engine, and you didn't like it, or want to run
on it, you could just run the gas you brought along with you, in Fuel
Class for the same bike.

I guess from what John Beckett just said elsewhere, there will be a fuel
truck at Maxton this weekend, and the rest of the meets this season,
with ONE event spec race gas in it, that all gas class competitors will
use, and set their records with.  Right, John??

And hey fellas, I realize from the earlier discussion that some people
prefer a choice of event spec gases like at Bonneville, and feel
strongly about it, and I respect that.  But IF ECTA is laying on one
event spec race gas for everybody to use, it's nothing to do with ME,
I'm not even IN the leadership circle.  As I said earlier though, I DO
personally think one spec racegas is enough, like NASCAR and the
timeless tradition in motorcycle roadracing at the Isle of Man.

Looking forward to seeing all my friends at Maxton on Saturday!  Cheers,
Ardun Bill