parachutes

To: "landspeed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: parachutes
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:09:08 -0700
List, I know everyone has their own ideas on chutes and failures. We are doing
a complete investigation on the incident and the reason the chutes failed.
We,the SCTA will have a expert look at them and tell us what went wrong and
what we(the racer/builder) can do in the future to prevent chutes from
failing. I presently have the three chutes and will turn them over to the
review board by weeks end.

This is not the time to start rumors and makes demands on the use of speed
brakes. As there are no two vehicles alike and not everyone has the resources
to pay for a designer to go into the unknown world of aerodynamics on land
speed vehicles it makes it  a little more difficult to come up with the total
answer. This forum on the list has many good ideas and some should be looked
at.

As far as the race car it's condition was excellent as the entire cage was
intact with no structural failures,none. four bars were removed to extract
Nolan from the car.
We have a complete photo history of the accident and they too will go to the
review board.

Please do not call or request information on the e-mail sites. We are bound by
insurance restrictions and all of the legal things that go along with it.
There will be a formal report sometime in the future regarding this matter.
Thank you for your cooperation
Glen