RE: rule changes

To: <ed@vetteracing.com>, <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: RE: rule changes
From: <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:25:26 -0700
Another interesting bit of trivia ... when Joe Paterelli (sp?) set his speed
record in the 30's on the Knucklehead on the beach, he did it without the
tail section fitted, as he reported poor handling with it on.

I suspect there is more to this than just surface area.  If you view a bike
with really good areo (like Charlie Toy's) from above, you can think of it
as an airfoil.  With no side wind the airfoil would be running at zero angle
of attack.  When you add a side wind, however, your airfoil will be running
with an angle attack equal to the vectors of the side wind compared to the
vehicle speed.  Therefore, you'd be generating "lift" towards the downwind
side.  But then maybe I'm just full of Shiite ...

Dale C.

PS:  I give up, Ed, why is a Fat Boy called that?

                Jon;
                Interesting reason, but as a street bike rider, I can
                understand it. I have a friend that bought a new Indian
Chief
                with the huge retro front fender, and he complained often
                about getting blown all over the place on the freeway. This
                has also been reported by HD Fat Boy riders with the solid
                front & rear wheels. BTW, trivia question of the day (yeah,
                know this is Turk's schtick), How did the Fat Boy get it's
                name? (You Jap bike riders will love this ;-)  )
                Ed

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer.