Re: rule changes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rule changes
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:56:23 +1000
Johno wrote

>Well I can tell you the reason for the rule. This creates more of a surface
>area, thus wind gusts can push you over. It is a safety factor in enclosing
>rear wheel and adding more surface area. That is what I was told by the
>"motorcycle techs." The ventelation of the rear rim proves a safety reason
>also, as with the front wheel.

IF this is the case it is in my opinion rather lame , yes a larger area
will be effected by cross winds more so than a smaller area ,so if we use
this safety reason logic then it would be wise to ban streamliners with
there very large side areas surely are prone to "falling over in wind gusts
" sorry if I sound cynical but where do you draw the line  in the "safety
factor" overriding a sound aerodynamic principle in what land speed racing
is all about  IE going faster , surely if the wind is blowing in a direction
that is " dangerous " and at a speed that could cause problems then the
starter stops you from running  if you are to stupid to not run yourself ,
and even if you do  or an unexpected gust crops up which cannot be predicted
then so be it, do we place speed limits to "protect " us  this is exactally
what is being done in not allowing more radical aerodynamic mods . I say let
the racer decide and take the risk not have it imposed upon us for such a
lame reason

The rule will never change, EVER.  The reason is the past runners have not
>been able to use that rule to set their records.  So a way to preserve the
>feat of bonneville they really wont do it.  Never hurts to bring it up at
>the Motorcycle meeting during bonneville.

I truely hope that the above reason is a joke, surely those that have set
records before are able to try again with new rule changes, or another
class could be created to cater for those who wish to "push the envelope"
yes one can progress to full streamliner but some of us would really like
for a sit on motorcycle to achieve some big numbers and lets face it only so
much can be achieved with brute HP.
I will keep on pressing for changes to the partial streamlining rules down
under  and hopefully ,lame safety concerns and politics and self interest
will not prevail
PS this is not ment to be an attack on any one , or any club or association
I just think that the rule makers are being far to conservative and cautious
just my 0.02 worth
Gary