RE: rule changes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rule changes
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:07:28 -0500
Jim:
weren't you running 1000cc Production class?  And they wouldn't allow the
STOCK bodywork?  Man, that seems WAY wrong.  I remember you saying something
about it at the time, but was trying to juggle 3 other problems, and I guess
it didn't really "sink-in".

It is my understanding that the 600, 750, and 1000 gixxers all have
identical bodywork (except for decals & paint).  How is it that they gave me
no trouble over my GSX-R600, and yet your 1000 was unacceptible?

How did you have your numberplates, that they were unhappy with them?  The
numberplate rules don't seem very restrictive, as I read them.

I had a lot of questions for the inspectors about Production class rules
that they couldn't answer-- like whether you can remove reflectors. (Seemed
reasonable to me, since you're supposed to remove turn signals.)  They told
me not to, since there is no rule that says I can.

And they don't let you tape any bodywork seams, even though the rule book
doesn't say anything against it.

I am getting the impression that a lot of the details of "whether you can,
or whether you can't" is left up to the interpretation of the individual
inspectors.  Hard to maintain consistency (and fair competition) that way;
you can't expect different inspectors to interpret vague (or unwritten)
rules the same way.
Russ, #1226B