RE: rule changes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rule changes
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 06:49:46 -0500
Jim:
yeah, now I remember how it went down at World Finals.

You and Jon had similar problems with the stock bodywork because you were
running in "Modified"-- and the rules in modified are actually TOUGHER
(about what is "Partially Streamlined") than they are for "Production"
class.  The only way that makes any sense is that they have to define PS
SOMEway-- and they don't define it at all, for Production.  In Production,
you can run "naked", PS, or full-streamlined-- all for THE SAME "Production"
records; only thing that varies is engine size.  (Any rich cat out there got
an Ecomobile I can borrow for about 2 months?)

Good pic of your bike.  You know, the bodywork looks exactly like mine, but
it DOES appear to stick out a little farther in back.  Difference in
year-model, maybe? (mine is a 2001)

Your number plates don't look like they are contrived to aid streamlining
(being inset, as they are), but I'm sure the inspectors must have decided
they were in violation of rule 7.F.12, anyway "... no streamlining other
than a seat or tail section to the rear of a line drawn vertically through
the axle of the rear wheel...".  One of theose "judgement call" things.

I was concerned that that rule might be interpreted to include number
plates, so Bill and I mounted mine so close to my heels that I could barely
get my feet on the pegs.  (Bill's turn to make brackets.)

Wish I could run that double-bubble windscreen; looks more streamlined than
the stock one (as well as "cooler").
Russ, #1226B