RE: rule changes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rule changes
From: "Jim Belford" <jimbelford@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:47:21 -0600
> The SCTA rules for partial streamlined/ modified bike have become so friggin
> conservative that some sportbikes with STOCK bodywork can't pass

I agree 100%. My stock GSX-R1000 would not pass last year at finals and I
ended up paying nearly $400 to run for time only. I thought they were
looking at allowing the seat area to extend beyond the rear tire but then I
never heard anymore about it and it does not appear to be a rule change. In
my case, we are only talking about the seat fairing extending 1-2" beyond
what is allowed in the rule book.
I do not plan to chop off a couple inches to comply (ouch). So, I will
probably continue to run for fun. Allowing the additional 1 - 2 inches on a
stock bike is a totally different argument than changing the rules to
"extend beyond the rear of the tyre and to encompass the enclosure of the
rear wheel and tyre" as well. At the very least, perhaps the rule should
have an exception to allow for stock motorcycle fairings.
I suppose if I can find the funds to slap a turbo on the bike and increase
my speed, and competitiveness, I may look at fabricating some kind of seat
support that complies with the rules.
As an aside, they did not like my placement of number plaques either!

Jim