RE: What's in your crankcase?

To: "James Tone" <James.Tone@AES.com>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: What's in your crankcase?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:39:35 -0600
JD;

Filter bypassing is a subject I was forced to learn about many years ago
when I bought a '62 Ferrari (no, I wasn't a rich kid-- I worked my butt
off to earn the money to buy it. A 6- year old Ferrari in those days was
just a "used car") that had TWO oil filters.
There was one oil filter in the usual place but a second filter was used
to filter the oil that was bypassed by the first filter. This way the
engine never received any oil that didn't go through a filter. The
filter canisters were also specified with a higher burst pressure rating
than an ordinary filter. You could use a PH-8 filter but on a cold
morning there might be a "bang" followed by a flood of oil. I think
Ferrari specified a PH-2815 and a PB-50 bypass filter.

This filter setup was very effective. When I rebuilt the engine the
bearings & cylinder walls looked very good.

Like most of their engines, the 3-liter V-12 was developed as a racing
engine so lubrication was a vital concern to Ing. Colombo. That engine
had a good record of reliability in endurance racing, too.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ