Re: E85, more questions

To: "Sparky" <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: E85, more questions
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:31:16 -0700
High octane rating is interesting.........we don't talk much anymore about
compression ratios.  But I seem to remember many years ago when suffering
through a thermodynamics course a mention about better theoretical
efficiency at higher compression ratios.  Better efficiency translates to
better mileage.  We all never paid much heed to the mileage thing when all
we could think of was getting more hp out of our engines on 30 cents/gallon
gas.  I do recall in the 60's when you could buy 100+ octane gas some of the
small block powered cars, and we're talking cars weighing 3800-4000 lbs dry,
had no trouble getting 20-25 mpg on the highway.
I guess the nitrogen compound emission problem killed high compression
ratios; but I wonder if modern emission control technology is able to
overcome that.  I suppose it can; since we have turbocharged engines that
operate at high compression pressures.  Or is there some ignored loophole in
the emision regulations that allow for the relatively infrequent use of high
power output conditions in turbocharged passenger car engines?  For example
do the treadmill smog tests now used in CA get the power output anywhere
near high enough to get a turbo really working?  ....I wonder.
Ed Weldon