Re: E85, more questions

To: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Subject: Re: E85, more questions
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:31:53 -0700
Benn---
Yeah, I was a featherfoot when I wasn't into vaporizing Ford transmissions
and axles with my Chrysler hemis.  (Actually I never owned a smllblock in
those years. )
 Here's a some mileage examples--
1. When I got my first job out of college I bought a new 1960 360 hp(10.7
CR)  Ford Starliner (4200 lbs wet) with a T85 OD and 3.50 rear axle ratio.
Got 20 mpg at 60mph on the Garden State Parkway and 7 mpg in the commute to
work. (the top end on that thing was awsome; but pretty useless in New
Jersey.....on the other hand with a good set of VR tires it would have been
perfect for Maxton)
2.  Had a close friend a few years later who had a longbed 68 Chevy pickup
with a shell.  Powered by a 283 with 3 spd OD.  Bragged about how he could
get 25 mpg with the truck loaded with kids and camping gear.
3.  Wife's car when we first got  married was this cherry 51 Ford business
coupe with stock 8BA and OD.  Easily got 25 mpg on the highway.  We sold it
when I had to go on active duty in the Navy  (We still cry about that one)
4.  Some years later I had a 64 Valiant 225 slant 6 stick station wagon with
200K miles that still got 27 mpg on long camping trips and could pull the
east side of 10,000 ft Tioga pass in 3rd gear.
5. Then there was the 56 VW "Penny a mile special" I used for commuting when
we were really "house poor"......1969; 30 mpg on 30cents/gallon gas.
Says a lot for torque and low drive ratio numbers.  Relics of a past
era...........like 30 cent gas.........
Ed