Re: E85, more questions

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: E85, more questions
From: "Benn" <karhu@california.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:29:13 -0700
My $0.02, in two parts:
$0.01:  Ethanol as currently produced for general fuel use (and this
would basically apply to the E85 also) on average takes the same amount
of energy to make a gallon of the stuff as you get out of the gallon of
ethanol.  Based on my own experiments with distillation, it takes a
buncha heat to get much ethanol.  The gummint has studied this (GAO I
believe) and come to the same conclusion; the politicians, however, have
other-than-scientific criteria....  Without serious taxpayer subsidies
to the "farmer" (think Archer Daniels Midland) and likely others along
the way, nobody would be thinking about making ethanol for general fuel
use.  Yeah, you COULD use solar or other approaches (instead of fossil
fuel) to distillation, etc., but that would take a huge capital outlay,
and I doubt that makes economic sense either.
$0.01:  IIRC The federal emissions cycles don't really require the
engine to get into the WOT condition; otherwise it's likely most
high-perf and/or large engines would have problems meeting the
requirements.  And the CA biennial test only runs the car at 25 mph on
the dyno.  So, Ed, your surmise that there might be a "loophole" re
emissions and high combustion pressures/temperatures is correct.
Benn
P.s., Ed, you must've driven those high-compression small blocks a lot
more conservatively than me to get 25 mpg...or else run 'em really lean.