Re: leaf spring sag

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: leaf spring sag
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 09:13:50 -0500 (PDT)
Allen Bachelder writes:
> Todd Mullins writes:
> > Also also, has anybody anywhere at any time given any thought to
> > developing a rear coil spring conversion kit?  Am I stupid for even
> > suggesting such a beast?
>
> Didn't the  factory consider this for the B and give up due to costs and
> wierd handling on a prototype?

Yes and yes.  The original prototype had coil springs and a Panhard rod,
whose chassis mounting point kept fracturing during testing.  Also,
testers complained of different steering characteristics between left
and right turns.  (Source:  "The Illustrated MGB", by Somebody and
Someone Else.)

Another interesting point is that this prototype is an inch shorter,
from bumper to bumper, than the production models.

But this is 1995, and the aftermarket is thriving.  Has it been tried
and rejected, or is everybody happy with cart springs?  I could imagine
replacing the leaf springs with a radius rod, using the front spring
perch, but I'm not sure if there's a suitable place to anchor the top of
the proposed coil spring.  Also, I'm not sure if lateral location would
suffer.

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil     On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with a new rattle (hit a BIG-ASS pothole yesterday)