Re: LBC Safety

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu, ninab@scoresheet.com
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:51:19 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-08 15:35:26 EDT, CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
(REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER) writes:

<< I know everybody has a story about someone who was thrown clear of a reck
 and walked away without a scratch because they weren't wearing a seatbelt
 but I believe they are the lucky few in very rare situations.

 Always wear your seatbelt. It's the law in most states anyway.
 Chris Reichle >>

As some of you already know, I was involved in a very bad accident in my TA 3
years ago...while motoring under blue skies in the Napa Valley at 4pm one
afternoon, an unlicensed, uninsured polecat driving a 4 dr Chevy made his
left turn right in front of me.  I was going between 45 and 50 when I hit him
in the rear door.  I had my lap belt on otherwise I'd have flown out of the
car with my seat back and landed on the tarmac....I could have served (maybe)
and flipped the car.  I chose not to do this....I got the steering wheel in
the chest and the Brooklands left its four bolt heads imprinted on my chest
for a couple of months and it broke my chest bone.....I broke all the spokes
out of the steering wheel and bloodied my nose but it didn't break...The
front of the TA crushed back bending and absorbing the energy and I was lucky
it didn't kill me....I now wear a 3 point belt and I urge others to do
likewise.  You do not want to be a projectile hurdling down a highway or into
other cars/trees etc.  Sure you can conjure up wrecks where it would be
better to be thrown clear but the odds are with staying in the car witha 3
point belt on.

Terry (with a TA rebuilt once again....thank you State Farm)