Re: LBC Safety

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 21:43:18 EDT
        After 25 years and 3 days of dealing w/ this type of thing, I can
honestly tell you that these are largely urban myths.  The same goes  for
the philosophy that "in case I end up in the water (or fire) I won't have
to deal w/ a seat belt".  The "thrown clear" types are only BS'ing
themselves and their buddies.  Yes, anything is possible but, all things
considered, staying in the car (even a LBC) is preferable to sliding down
the interstate on your Levi's w/ a Ford station wagon in hot pursuit.
You cannot unass a car fast enough to avoid a rearend accident and,
should you get out, you don't know where the other vehicle might end up.
I do, however.
        BTW, avoid trees at any cost.  It is better to hit concrete than
a large tree.  Trees bend and "hit you back", thereby doubling the
impact.  Don't believe it?  Sit in on any Driver Improvement School where
they show "the movies".

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

>I know everybody has a story about someone who was thrown clear of a
reck and walked away without a scratch because they weren't wearing a
seatbelt but I believe they are the lucky few in very rare situations.