Re: LBC Safety

To: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 97 10:00:19 -0400
Concerning Seat belts.

I have a 3-point harness in the Midget and I always wear it. My only
concern is if the car flips I will not be able to duck. If I screw up
that bad I may not want to anyway. My reasoning for a seat belt:

On the last week of school before summer my junior year in HS I was out
cruising in a VW bug with some friends. Being 17 and invulnerable I chose
not to buckle up. My friend the driver did as did the guy in the back. We
came down a hill and ran off the side of the road at about 40 mph. The
driver overcorrected and we went into a spin. As soon as the car hit the
pavement the rear wheel peeled and the car flipped. It rolled about 6
times down the road. I only hung out for 1 or 2 rolls and ended up
further down the road than the car, all the way on my back (I think cuz
that was what was most torn up). I spent a week in the hospital, and two
weeks in bed recovering. (had to get special permission to take late
finals and screwed most of them up as I was still on the pain pills) The
driver walked away w/o a scratch and the guy in back had a slight foot
injury. Had I had a seat belt on I would have stayed in the car and
probably walked away. I have never gotten into a car w/o putting one on
after.

The details of the above story were related to me afterwards because the
last thing I remember is going down the hill and then waking up in the
hospital about 2 days later.

WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!! There are too few LBC and drivers as is.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu