Re: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:23:09 EST
In a message dated 12/17/99 2:49:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Andrew.Lundgren@level3.com writes:

<< Wouldn't the ultimate point be: If you don't know how to drive in the
 snow don't learn on a "brand new" B? Tire width is going to make
 little difference to someone who turns away from the slide... >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Like so many of us OFs, when I learnt how to drive, I didn't have the luxury
of choosing what I learnt in!  Gawd, the first manual trans car I drove was a
'52 (I think) Bell Telephone truck with a crash box!  My own first car was a
'63 Sunbeam Alpine (bought in 1967) so what did I take out in the snow?...the
Alpine!  I drove it every day 'cause I didn't have anything else.

Take your "new" B out to a deserted, snow-covered parking lot...high school
parking lots are great, and start spinning the wheels until you have a feel
for how to handle the car.  Learning in one car, and then driving another
(probably older) car won't help as much as learning in the car you will be
driving.  Just do it with no other cars and no poles around.

BTW, all bets are off if you try to drive in glare ice.  Unless you fit four
heavily spiked tires, you will only be able to go straight ahead...if you can
get the car moving at all!  (Been there, done that!)  Every once in a while
we get an ice storm in the Philly area.  I leave for work at 5:00 a.m.,
before the salt trucks, and it ain't fun.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport