RE: Supercharger

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>,
Subject: RE: Supercharger
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:55:47 -0500
David is going to an overhaul his engine anyhow - so while he's got the
engine out and he's in there anyhow, the re-bore is NOT that much more of a
chore or cost, even if it has to be sleeved to achieve the .060. In many, if
not most cases, a rebore of at least some amount is normally required anyhow
on a worn engine to true the cylinders and to really do a decent, tight job.
So, if it'll make .060, it wont cost him any more to go that much than it
would to go .20 or .040 over.

Let me throw something else out there just for the fun of it...... IF, just
IF now - If you were going to go to all this trouble anyhow, and if you
wanted to max the bore to the most that it could possibly be by putting in
sleeves, which I KNOW can be done, because I've seen sleeves successfully
done before, what would be the maximum over-bore that could be achieved
considering cylinder head, head gasket and any other considerations? What
are the other considerations? Has anybody on the list ever had any
experience with MORE than an .060 overbore?

And, - just for the Hell of it - Does anybody make pop-up pistons and has
anybody tried them?

Yes. Over-boring does not show and is considered a normal repair method for
older cars with worn engines, so stock classification should still
stand - - -  unless you are at an NHRA drag meet, get protested and they
make you tear it down for inspection!!! However, I've personally never seen
an MG drag racing before - and I've seen a LOT of drag racing!

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster
jerbesfield@mediaone.net
website- http://people.atl.mediaone.net/jerbesfield