RE: Concours (was Front Valance colors)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Concours (was Front Valance colors)
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:51:02 -0500
> owner paid for it.  IMO there is very little point to trying
> to keep things
> as investments for future sale.  Regardless of how you enjoy
> a toy I don't
> think profit should be a factor.

There are very few cars that can be restored and a profit made on
selling them.  And you're at the mercy of 'what's hot' in the
marketplace at the time, so it's a huge gamble.  Look at the huge
balloon in car prices during the late '80s.  A lot of people spent $100K
on E-Types.  While a perfect E-Type is still worth a pretty penny, their
current value is far below those crazy days.

I suspect the real problem with cars like the Viper, Prowler, and
similar near-exotics is that while limited in production, a decent
number were still produced.  Combine that with a fairly high initial
price tag, and these end up being cars that are babied from day one.
(The exception of course being those who buy a Viper with racing in
mind.)  So you have all these nice cars out there, with some mechanical
wear and tear, but no real rarity.  Will their value go up someday?
Maybe.  Have they retained more of their value than a similarly priced
Cadillac, Mercedes, etc.?  Certainly.