RE: Concours (was Front Valance colors)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Concours (was Front Valance colors)
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:05:37 -0500
> across many years or models.  What are you going to do 30 years
> from now when your 2003 New Beetle needs a computer chip?  Or an
> oxygen sensor?  Or the padded plastic on the dashboard starts to
> crack?  There's just no way to maintain these cars.

I'm not so sure about this.  Things like oxygen sensors are pretty
common components.  Many engine management systems are common across a
number of cars.  They may be programmed differently for different
applications, but the hardware is the same.  I think the current
availability of aftermarket chips for many cars indicates that these
items won't be a problem.

For more specific items like dashboards, how is it any different than
the dash in the MG?  You'll either have companies making reproductions,
or specializing in the repair of them.  This will of course depend on
demand.  If, 30 years on, people have no interest in New Beetles, then
no one will bother making the parts.  Let's go back 30 years from now.
We can get nearly anything for a 1973 MGB, or a 1973 Beetle.  But what's
the marketplace like for cosmetic parts for a 1973 LTD Wagon?