Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:01:43 -0500
I know, this horse is dead and starting to decay, but I wanted to chime
in.

I'm restoring a '68 B and I know that some folks would think it
ridiculous to do a concours restoration on such a "new" MGB.  After
all, replacing a cracked plastic dash with an after-market doesn't
exactly make it for "originality".  I'm aiming for as close to concours
as possible with my budget if only because I like driving new vehicles
that haven't been "upgraded" by previous owners.  And if I ever decide
to sell it and get another project, my buyer will not have to worry if
the Peco exhaust was installed correctly or if the cross-flow cylinder
head is legal in his or her state or if the color is John Deer green
rather than New Racing Green and whether or not the seats should have
red piping.  It will be driven and enjoyed, but not "upgraded".

On a similar note, I personally feel that anyone who enters their car
in a "daily driver" category and doesn't have a fully stocked toolbox,
an extra long set of jumper cables, two quarts of oil, some DOT 4 brake
fluid, a circuit tester light, two dry towels, and at least two
flashlights all in the trunk shouldn't bother to enter.  I would likely
do "upgrades" to a daily driver though.

Kevin