Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:46:00 -0700
on 5/14/03 1:05 PM, Chuck Renner at crenner@dynalivery.com wrote:

> For more specific items like dashboards, how is it any different than
> the dash in the MG?  You'll either have companies making reproductions,
> or specializing in the repair of them.  This will of course depend on
> demand.  If, 30 years on, people have no interest in New Beetles, then
> no one will bother making the parts.  Let's go back 30 years from now.
> We can get nearly anything for a 1973 MGB, or a 1973 Beetle.  But what's
> the marketplace like for cosmetic parts for a 1973 LTD Wagon?

Good point. But the other (more critical) factor is the size of the
potential market. The MGB and the Beetle both sold in large numbers for a
long period of time, and were notorious for relatively few year-to-year
changes.

In contrast, take my 1967 Plymouth Barracuda: the basic body shell was
unique to that model, and was produced for three years only. Production was
further divided into a coupe, a fastback, and a convertible model.  With
Detroit's annual model changeover policy, the grill, badges, rear deck trim
and tail light asemblies, as well as the entire interior trim, were
different for each year, and moreover, came in several optional variants.
So, despite an enthusiastic following in the muscle car/pony car community,
most of these trim pieces are still jocularly referred to as "unobtainium".
They aren't being reproduced, and never will be, in all probability.

On the other hand, you can practically build a 64-66 Mustang from
reproduction parts, since they are more common by a ratio of 30:1 (at
least). It's not just a matter of collector interest -- the numbers have to
be there to make it worthwhile to the vendors. You can probably predict
which cars will be supported in the future by looking at the sales numbers
today, and discounting the mass-market plebe vehicles like Chrysler minivans
and Ford Tauruses.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149