RE: moss box

To: "'William Zehring'" <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>,
Subject: RE: moss box
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:35:24 -0700
On Thursday, April 22, 1999 12:17 PM, William Zehring
[SMTP:zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU] wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I had the opportunity to go for a spin in a moss box-equipped car
yesterday
> (no, not a +4, in this case it was a '64 e-type) and have a few
questions...

> --is first gear a straight cut?  In this car there was a pronounced
whine.
> --is the second gear synchro pretty weak?  This car (~85k miles) had
> essentially NO second gear synchro.  Pals suggest I shouldn't be
surprised
> at that, but zowie, it sure does crimp your style if you have to nurse it
> into second every time.
> --how hard is changing a synchro ring (ignoring for a minute how hard it
is
> to just get to the box in the e-type)?  I have great respect for folks
> brave enough to work on trannys.

Yes, first gear in the Moss/Jag gearbox is straight cut and yes synchros
are usually pretty weak.  There are adjustments that can help as others on
this list can tell you better than I.  I just double clutch (heel and toe)
up an down.  It is quite easy once you get the knack and it entertains your
feet!

The gear whine in first is one of the notable sounds of old e-types (or any
older Jag).  It sounded great pulling away from a red light.  There was a
problem with the moss box on old Jags with the gearbox jamming in first
gear.  I had the problem occasionally in the XK150 I once had.  It probably
had something to due with thrust washers because it usually occurred when
you coasted down from high rpm in first gear.  You tried to pull the
gearchange back to neutral and it wouldn't move.  I heard of folks bustin
the shift forks trying to dis-engage first gear.  The trick I learned was
to re-accelerate hard again in gear and then pull it out of gear at the
redline.  Of course this was only possible if you could drive forward!
 I've never had the problem with the moss box in my +4.

George Gerth
1963 Morgan +4
Fond memories of a 1959 Jaguar XK150 Coupe