Re: moss box

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: moss box
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 17:40:11 -0400
The synchros are part of the machining of the gear cluster and cannot be
changed. My '57 Plus 4, with 24000 miles on the clock and the box and clutch
essentially rebuilt to the extent possible and necessary, has a second gear
synchro that you either double clutch or you wait a second and ease it in. No
quick shifts, especially if it is cold. When warm, a totally different story,
but you still pause a bit. According to Larry Eckler, who rebuilt my box, you
can replace the bearings, the layshaft, but the gear clusters are scarce and the
synchros cannot be replaced. It is possible that the clutch on that Jag wasn't
disengaging completely, which would make finding second quietly more difficult.
I offer my view because I suspect my Moss box is about as good as one of these
boxes can be, my clutch, linkage etc. are all absolutely perfect and I can still
beat second gear synchro if I'm in too much of a hurry. I double clutch when the
car's cold and take my time when it's warm.

Chip Brown.