RE: moss box

To: wms@vaxxine.com, apicciotto@nvusd.k12.ca.us, zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU
Subject: RE: moss box
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:35:06 -0700
Best to use engine oil!  Though there is some debate as to whether engine
oil is best for the Moss Box (I use it), the Laycock-de-Normanville
overdrive DEMANDS it and the overdrive unit shares its oil supply with the
gearbox.

One of the biggest problems with the overdrive units on the 250 GTE Ferrari
is that the gearbox likes heavy gear oil.  The overdrive soon gums up and
will not shift right until it is dissassembled and cleaned.

Our 1959 DHC, which we bought new, was always noisey in first gear (as is
every other Plus 4 I have driven) and second gear synchro is almost
non-existant.  These facts were mentioned in contemporary road tests.

Good luck.

Gerry