Re: [oletrucks] Carb question.

To: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Carb question.
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 06:45:27 -0400
I do't know much about the Carter carbs but there were many different
Rochester model B single barrel carbs offered on GM inlines. They vary in
CFM from about 200 to 250.  CFM ratings for inline engines are measured
differently than for V8s so these numbers don't compare to 4-barrel specs.
Some (model BB) had electric chokes and these were in use at least through
the early 60's.

They are not a bad carburetor, very simple in operation and easy to work on.
But they have a bad reputation as "leakers" because the float chamber can
get distorted from overzealous tightening of the top cover screws. Throttle
shafts can get badly worn too. Last I heard, Rochester "B" carbs were in the
$90 range, rebuilt. Gas mileage was not a big concern in the era these
carburetors were used, though. If you consider that the newest of these
carbs is now approaching 40 years of age, It may be preferable to look for a
more modern replacement. The Rochester "Monojet" is a more modern design and
was used on the later family of GM inlines, it's pretty much a bolt-on
replacement.
Also worth considering is the Holley-Weber staged 2-barrel. Requires an
adapter to the stock manifold and some linkage modification, but gas mileage
and driveability  are  improved.

Jack / Winter Park FL