Re: [oletrucks] '49 Passenger Door Handle question

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '49 Passenger Door Handle question
From: Jay Duncanson <jay@duncanson.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:09:52 -0800
At 11:33 AM -0500 12/11/99, JArnold102@aol.com wrote:

>I have a 50 AD, and learned long ago that one must not "lock" the passenger
>side door from the inside and shut it.  The key mechanism will not unlock the
>passenger side door when that happens.  Of course, the side vent and some
>heavy gauge insulated wire can provide some hours of fun trying to snag the
>driver's side handle and open the door.

That sounds like a pretty silly design, doesn't it? Actually, I
believe that's because your latch mechanism is faulty, as Andrew
Roberts <arobs@becker.u.washington.edu> says. My passenger door acted
the same, but the problem was that the metal finger that unlocks the
locked door when it closes was worn. I welded a bit of extra metal
onto it to restore its original condition and voila! Now the door
unlocks itself when slammed after locking it from the inside. As it
should do. When I stupidly slam it closed while locked.