Re: [oletrucks] '49 Passenger Door Handle question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '49 Passenger Door Handle question
From: Jay Duncanson <jay@duncanson.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:05:16 -0800
Hi gang! Lets see what we have in the mailbag today:

On 12/10/99, Grant Galbraith wrote:
>The only lock on the 49 should be on the pass side and both handles
>should push down to open.

Grant, I think you're referring to the outside handles, correct? I
should have been more clear: my problems are with the inside handles.

On 12/10/99, joe wrote:
>I think the reason one door opens with a pull and the other with a push is
>that he has the same inside handle connecting mechanism for both doors.

Actually, the two mechanisms are different. I suspect one was
garnered from a different truck, although in fact you may be right
that they are both for the same side. If so, I want to know which
side they're designed for so I can purchase one for the other side.

On 12/11/99, Doug Pewterbaugh wrote:
>It sounds like the handle that points up is installed
>180º inverted (should point down).  The handles are held on to the splined
>rod of the door mechanism by a small set screw that is located under the arm
>of the handle.  Loosen it & the handle should slide off (depending on how
>much corrosion you have holding it on).  Rotate it & put back on, tighten
>the set screw & your done.

No, Doug, the handles are positioned correctly on the splined rods.
The problem is that lifting up one handle opens the door, and pushing
down locks it. The directions are opposite on each door for the same
functions.

At 5:43 PM -0800 12/11/99, David Raphael wrote:
>    Are you clear on the advice you got?  I think that Doug cleared things
>up.  Your inside door handles should pull to open the doors (both sides),
>and push down a click to lock.

OK. That helps, since I didn't know which door was operating
correctly. Now I need to figure out why the passenger side lifts up
to lock and pushes down to open.

SOOOO, since a picture is worth a thousand emails, I've posted pix of
the mechanisms at:

http://www.jay.duncanson.com/doors.html

Can anybody help me get a handle on this problem? (SORRY, COULDN'T RESIST!)

Which of these mechanisms is correct for a '49 3100 and which is
incorrect? And where might the incorrect one have come from?

Thanks!    Jay